24 Learning: Some links to visit.

24 Learning

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Some links to visit.

http://adavis.pbwiki.com/Web%20Tools%204%20Teachers

This one has some cool links worth visiting. I have played with gliffy awhile ago and think it is just brilliant. I'd love to get some children using this and collaborating on a project over the web.

This trading card maker looks interesting but I'm not convinced it has much advantage over something like powerpoint or word. It seems to me that it would be easier to create a template in word and take out the online component. Am I missing something here? I can't see the potential for collaboration unless you are talking about using someone elses photos. Then I'd question the value of doing that? If you could engage in collaboration with the photographer then I'd start to see this as a web 2.0 tool. Similarly the photo mosaic tool looks cool but really you can do the same thing by dropping photos into a table in word. What am I missing here?
Photo captioner is another example of a cool tool but just as easily achieved using powerpoint. I guess the point of many of these web 2.0 tools is that you don't have to rely on having your own computer all the time. I can certainly see the value of these for a school situation where children can use the tools and spaces like flickr at school and at home.

This also fits well with Nicholas Negroponte's view of a personal laptop for every child. His project is looking at low cost, low memory, but web enabled laptops. Web2.0 tools become really useful under that scenario. I just listened to his presentation at TED talks. Wow there are some brilliant speakers here worth listening to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home