24 Learning: Changes

24 Learning

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Changes

It has been a thought provoking weekend. My 94 year old grandmother died on Friday evening. I've been thinking since about all the changes she saw in her lifetime. She was born a few months after the Titanic sank. She lived through two World Wars, the depression, polio epidemic, Napier earthquake, Murchison earthquake, Wahine disaster. She lived to see man walk on the moon, jet aeroplane travel, television, computers, the internet. Incredible social changes occurred in her lifetime. Advances in science, medicine, technology... etc. Nana grew up in a house without electricity. I just can't imagine it really.

All that melancholic musing makes me think about my own girls and the changes they will see in their lifetimes. How do we prepare our children for a future we can't even imagine? Well I'm not really sure but I guess Nana's parents had no idea about television, internet etc. Heck! Motor cars would have been a marvellous new invention. Nana grew up, raised a family and lived through a period of incredible change. If all the predictions of futurist commentators are anything to go by change will only increase at an exponential rate. Two things I think about all this. Developing an ability to cope with complexity may be one of the most important things we can promote. That and doing things with your family. Spend time and get to know the most important people in your life.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry to read of your grandmother's passing. I too went to the cemetery today. I read a book recently that said that in dying you become part of the past- in memories, and you become part of the future- in your influences on those that follow.

My sympathies to you and your family.

Allanah

10:17 pm  
Blogger gregcarroll said...

My thoughts are with you too ...
I agree about the time with family - what is is we remember about our own childhoods? For me it is certainly the people and the things we did together. It is not the tidy house or the specs of the TV/laptop/etc.

11:38 am  
Blogger Mr. Chase said...

I too am sorry to hear about your nana's passing. Thank you for sharing her memory with the world.
I'm coming home now from a surprise visit home. The video of my mom's reaction as I walked through the door after my sister picked me up from the airport will be something I watch over and over again.
Thank you for helping to put things in perspective.

1:10 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Pual,
My name is William Unchangco I do not have a blog but I know you from my teacher Mr.Frances.

I am sorry about your lose on friday you make it sound like she had a very good life but she sounds cool to me and it was fun to hear about her and I hope your doing good. But anyways I have to go know and hope your doing good so peace or as proper English goodbye and hoep you get better.

From: William Unchangco
P.S. Hope you get better and sorry about your lost of your grandma.
BYE BYE

6:12 am  
Blogger Paul Wilkinson said...

I really appreciate the kind thoughts. I had to speak at the funeral which was a bit difficult but I managed without making a complete fool of myself. Nana was the last of her generation in my family so it really is the end of an era. Lots of good memories though.

11:09 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home